As far back as 1897, residents had petitioned the government to establish a public hospital. Finance was lacking from the community, and the North Canterbury Hospital Board was not enthusiastic, so the matter lapsed for many years.
On 22 August 1910 a public meeting was called. Mr F Harrell, Chairman of the North Canterbury Hospital Board, and Mr W Tanner, Chairman of the Hospital Committee, and the two local members, Messrs Palmer and Davison, attended to investigate the needs of the district. The meeting firmly established that a hospital was an urgent necessity.
Through the efforts of R Meredith, member for Ashley, the Government agreed to pay a pound for pound subsidy on money subscribed by the Council and community.
“The Kaikoura people had collected, with the subsidy, nearly £1,000, …” – The Press 16 Mar 1911
Kaikoura Hospital is a 26 bed rural hospital providing a comprehensive range of health services for the Kaikoura community. Situated on Deal Street in the heart of Kaikoura township. Six general medical beds, seven rest home beds, eight long term elderly hospital level of care, three maternity beds, labour and birth and postnatal beds for low risk pregnancies. Postnatal home support provided by midwives. Respite care/carer support beds (2) – used for providing short-term relief for carers, Kaikoura Hospital is an accredited facility. Other private health services are provided from rooms of the hospital.
New Health Facility
The new Health Care Facility will provide the safe and appropriate physical space required to support the delivery of “better, sooner, more convenient” health care in the Kaikoura community and is a key part of the physical infrastructure to enable a generational change in the health system.